Prof. ST Hsieh
Director, US-China Energy Industry Forum
April 7, 2022
The quote from Ukraine Foreign Minister and the list of armaments that the US provided to Ukraine in such a short time, both the US and Ukraine could be labeled as “Warmonger.” Unfortunately, Ukraine war has changed our mind-sets somewhat. However, peace is desirable, and we should give peace a chance, no matter how difficult. War cannot go on forever.
This does not mean that you are warmongers. On the contrary, the soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. But always in our ears ring the ominous words of Plato, that wisest of all philosophers: “Only the dead have seen the end of war.
- Critical Quote
“My agenda is very simple. It has only three items on it: it’s weapons, weapons, and weapons.”
— Ukrainian foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba
- According to the document, distributed Thursday, the Biden administration has supplied Ukraine with $2.4 billion in security assistance since taking office.
That includes $1.7 billion just since Russia invaded on Feb. 24.
- Over 1,400 Stinger anti-aircraft systems.
- Over 5,000 Javelin anti-armor systems.
- Over 7,000 other anti-armor systems.
- “Hundreds” of Switchblade Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems.
- Over 7,000 small arms.
- Over 50 million rounds of ammunition, reportedly highly coveted by the Ukrainian Army for its close-quarter Russian encounters.
- 45,000 sets of body armor and helmets.
- Laser-guided rocket systems.
- Puma Unmanned Aerial Systems.
- Four counter-artillery and counter-unmanned aerial system tracking radars.
- Four counter-mortar radar systems.
- Armored High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles.
- Night-vision devices, thermal imagery systems and optics.
- Tactical secure communications systems.
- Commercial satellite imagery services.
- Explosive ordnance disposal protective gear.
- Medical supplies, including first aid kits.
- UN Aid Chief: Ceasefire ‘won’t be easy’
The United Nations’ humanitarian chief held high-level talks with Ukrainian and Russian officials in the hope of halting the fighting in Ukraine (April 7).